Wednesday, January 17, 2007

GM Onstar

Well, I became a GM believer today. My wife mistakenly locked our 2 year old in the car this morning, and since I was already at work and I have the spare keys on my keyring (lack of foresight on my part), and work 70 minutes away from home, going home to unlock it was not the best alternative.

So after dealing with my initial panic, I went to the Onstar site, got their toll free number, and gave them a call. They verificed my id, then unlocked the car remotely. The whole thing took about 7 minutes, and my daughter wasn't even stuck long enough to know something had gone wrong. So apart from some early morning stress, and some missed "circle time" at her preschool, all is well.

All of a sudden, stuff like a CAA membership (or the Onstar equivalent of same) is starting to seem a lot more relevant. I'll do a cost comparison / cost/benefit of CAA to Onstar (assuming the roadside assistance and all that stuff is offered by both) vs alternatives a bit later.

No comments: