Monday, January 29, 2007

Investing in Canada - The contrarian view

As much as I'd like to invest in Canada, I find it so difficult to justify it. I don't understand the mining industry for one, Environmental concerns limit my desire to leave much money in the Cdn oilpatch for another, and finally, I think that financials are generally overvalued. What else is there? RIM? Who has time to keep track of that soap opera?

The contrarian / cynic in me argues that the whole retiring boomer thing is going to turn the market upside down. After all, these people will need some safe blue chips to stick the equity based portion of their money into, right? Time will tell how true that is.

Anyhow most of my money (and my wife's, kids, & in laws) sits right next door. The worlds biggest and most liquid market. Yes that's right, the US. I get better insights into US securities due to the preponderance of free news & research, I get better liquidity, and I get a heck of a lot more choice. Screw exchange rate concerns. As long as I'm getting a decent rate of return and keep my eye on the returns relative to the dollar, I'm a happy camper. Yes, I pay a bit more in commission and fx spread, but forking over that little extra up front has helped me to achieve stellar rates of return. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing until it no longer works for me. (We won't include my latest foray into Options in that mix). Personally, I like managing my own money. At least as long as it stays in the black!

No comments: