Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thoughts on why we're here

So one of my biggest issues is the constant internal religious debate that I have. Last night I came up with a theory, and figured I'd write it down and reflect back on it later.

Its based on the questions; Who is God? and What is our purpose for being?
So the way I consider it is, God is this ultimate being with two sides - good and evil. God's purpose for us, is the evolution of humanity toward good. So think of your baser instincts and desires. They tend to be kinda evil, right? I mean the root of what we are holds all our vices, whether its sex, drugs, violence, lying or some combination of those (or other) vices - the root of who we are, is evil. God's purpose for us, is the ability to evolve beyond that tendency to commit evil.

The world's major religions tend to support this view, consider that the things world religions say are bad, and the things they suggest we should strive for - tend to be largely consistent around the world.

Anyone who happens to stumble across this - I'd love to hear your perspective.

1 comment:

Blu Jewel said...

I tend to shy away from religious debates as they tend to get rather ugly. I will say; however, that I am strong in what I believe and where my faith lies. There is inherant good and evil in the world and there would be no balance without it. I also believe that most make the choices between one or the other.

For me, my choice is simple. I try to be the best person I can be. I pray, I believe in a higher power, and I have faith that my belief in said higher power will guide me and keep me.