Friday, June 12, 2009

What's wrong with being laid back?

I had lunch with my chubby friend today. Well, he's actually not really chubby anymore, but I'm so used to calling him that now, that he's kind of stuck with the name. So anyhow, we're talking about our various career choices, when Chubby (who's in sales) says to me - "you're too laid back to be in sales"... Me? Laid back? After giving him a verbal beat down, I conclude that maybe Chubby sees one side of me, but what do my co workers think?

I decide to use a lifeline and ask a colleague. So as my frame of reference, I use the SVP of my team as a parallel, and go ask my pal Ang for feedback. Here's our convo:

Me: Ang, would you describe P as laid back?
Ang (1 minute later)......: outside of work yes
Me: Would you describe me as laid back?
Ang (1 Second later): no
Me: Holy Crap! No hesitation there! Ouch.
Ang (words of wisdom): Its not an insult.. 1st off you are in a contract position.. so I wouldnt be laid back either. No one hires the laid back person.
Me: I didn't take it as an insult.
Ang: high strung would be an insult.
Me: Oh.
Ang: you arent high strung...

So what's the big deal anyhow? What's wrong with being laid back? Well let's see. For starters, dictionary.com defines laid back as "relaxed or unhurried:... 2.free from stress; easygoing; carefree:...". I don't think any leader (especially in an efficiency focused Financial Services institution) wants a senior manager who would be tagged with the label "laid back". In fact, the Impact Factory states that if you appear too laid back, you're unlikely to get a job you're interviewing for as it gives the interviewer the impression that you just don't care. The same logic applies to managing perception on the job.

So what's the conclusion? Well, be yourself, definitely - but be aware of the image you project, and make sure it aligns with who you are and what you're all about.

No comments: